Trying to stay healthy while eating the food you love can sometimes feel like an exercise in futility. Basically, we want to have our cake, and eat it too, but to also have that cake not ruin any chance at being healthy as blazes. Luckily, the good folk at food delivery service Youfoodz have put together a couple of recipes that offer unexpectedly healthy takes on some of our all time culinary favourites.
Say goodbye to the grease-sodden offerings from your local fish and chip shop because, for dinner, they suggest a healthy, homemade alternative, that subs out those deep-fried chippies for baked roast veggie chips and a good-for-you superseed crust instead of batter. Alternatively, if you've got a hectic sweet tooth, they've got the perfect protein packed recipe for blueberry pancakes with a light honey ricotta that looks every bit as good as it sounds. Add some extra berries on top for added antioxidants and deliciousness.
Healthy eating ain't so bad after all. Check 'em out and enjoy the spoils.
FISH AND CHIPS
1tbs almond meal
1tbs slivered almonds
5g chia seeds
5g sesame seeds
60g sweet potato
Ingredients (tartare sauce)
2-3 tbs of your favourite prepared aioli
2 large Gherkins (chopped)
1tbs Capers (chopped)
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
2tbs fresh dill (chopped)
2tbs continental Parsley (chopped)
1) Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
2) Cut vegetables into chip shapes and sizes and combine with some paprika. Bake in oven until roasted and delicious.
3) Combine almond meal, nuts and seeds and mix well, sprinkle heavily on top of cod and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked.
4) Add chopped gherkins, capers, dill, lemon juice and zest and parsley to prepared aioli and mix well.
5) Garnish with lemon wedges and a sprinkle of sea salt.
BLUEBERRY BAKED PANCAKES AND HONEY RICOTTA
Ingredients (pancake mix)
1 cup almond meal
Half cup gluten free flour
100g protein powder
Lemon zest of 2 lemons
1.5 cups natural yoghurt
Quarter cup white sugar
1tsp bi carb soda
1 cup blueberries
Ingredients (ricotta and honey mix)
1) Lightly beat eggs with sugar till combined well.
2) Add almond meal, gluten free flour, protein powder and bi carb soda and mix well.
3) Add yoghurt, blueberries and lemon zest, combine all ingredients and cook in medium hot non stick fry pan till risen and golden. Combine ricotta and honey, spoon over cooked pancakes with additional berries and honey.
Want someone else to cook these for you? Youfoodz will bring them right to your door. To view the full menu, head to youfoodz.com.