The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra Is Looking to Live-Stream Cancelled Performances
Following the Government's decision to ban non-essential organised gatherings of 500 or more people.
Following the New Zealand Government's decision to ban non-essential organised gatherings of 500 or more people in an effort to 'flatten the curve' of COVID-19, the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra has announced that all concerts and associated activity have been suspended until May.
The national orchestra, which attracts audiences well over 500 people, was to due to perform in Christchurch and Dunedin this weekend, and in Wellington, Auckland, Tauranga, Hamilton and Napier throughout April. The NZSO will endeavour to reschedule each of the concerts to later dates.
NZSO Interim Chief Executive Peter Biggs says that while the concerts are being rescheduled, the NZSO will use other ways to bring world-class orchestral music to New Zealanders. It will include more live broadcasts of concerts and live streaming some performances on multiple platforms. The NZSO was working with its strategic partner RNZ to make it happen.
NZSO subscribers will be contacted to discuss ticket options.
The non-essential gatherings directive made by Cabinet includes public events held both indoors and outdoors. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said there were 107 events of this size set to happen in the country's major centres in the coming weeks, that may include festivals, fairs, sporting and religious events.
At this stage the gatherings ban excludes schools and universities. Further guidelines will be announced later in the week. The ban follows a similar decision from the Australian Government last week.
Published on March 17, 2020 by Stephen Heard